The Crawl, Walk, Run Assessment begins on a welcome page that shows the value of the assessment in three simple bullet points. The first question of the assessment is present below the benefits list allowing users to jump right into the assessment. Iconography shows the user to scroll down to begin. Users will be encouraged to flow through the five question assessment by selecting one of the three possible answers. Dynamic content will be leveraged on the results page to showcase what category the user falls into based on their answers to the assessment.
What you’ll need for the easy Crawl, Walk, Run Assessment:
- Home page: A title for the assessment. Three benefits that showcase the value of the assessment to the user.
- Questions page: Five questions with three potential answers for each. Each answer will place the user into a category.
- Result page: Headline for each category, paragraph for each category, CTA button verbiage and destination.
1st step: If you don’t have a portfolio and campaign yet… create them first (:30 seconds)
When you first log in to the ion platform, you will more than likely find yourself at the dashboard page. From the dashboard, click on “portfolio” in the navigation and select the green plus sign found next to “your portfolio” and type the name of your portfolio! A “Portfolio” is a great way to keep your content organized and easy to locate in the future. For example, if you plan to run multiple campaigns promoting this assessment (paid search, email, social) the portfolio can house all of those campaigns.
Once you have saved and named your portfolio, you can now add a campaign by clicking the green plus sign. Create a name for your campaign folder and then add your corporate website in the “Fallback URL” field which is where traffic will be re-routed to should this campaign ever go offline).
2nd step: Download the Crawl, Walk, Run Assessment from the quick start cloud (:30 seconds)
Within your campaign, click the green plus sign to add a new creative. Place the internal name of your assessment in the label field. It is important to note that this label will not be visible to your users, so you can select a name that will be used internally.
This section will default to the Quick Starts tab. The top drop down labeled “Quick Start Cloud” should remain untouched. The second drop down showcases all of the Quick Start categories. For the Crawl, Walk, Run Assessment you will want to select the “Easy Quick Starts”. Click on the easy Crawl, Walk, Run Assessment thumbnail.
Important tip: Before you save this creative from the cloud, it may be beneficial to “preview” the functionality. When you preview an experience you are able to see what it looks like, how it functions and how the content is arranged. Sometimes when you are in the creative editor, things may look differently than they do in the final product (this is because the pages are responsive, and the layout is impacted by the size of the screen).
Once you select the Crawl, Walk, Run Assessment hit save to begin!
When you hit save, just note that it may take a few seconds to download the quick start into your console. Once the assessment has downloaded you will find yourself on the Creative Management tab of the assessment.
3rd step: Apply your brand theme to the assessment pages (:10 seconds)
On the creative management page of your assessment located within the right side panel, you will see a drop down that is labeled “theme”. From that drop down select your brand theme. A theme includes all of your branding requirements such as logo, colors, fonts, etc. This step must happen before you can take the assessment live and it’s a best practice to do so before you begin adding your content.
Don’t see your company’s brand theme in the drop down?
If you are not yet an ion customer and are in a demo or sandbox account, you won’t see your brand’s theme. You can however, select the Spokes theme to demo the experience.
If you are a customer, are in your company’s ion console and you still don’t see your theme, contact your ion customer success manager. More than likely, you’re a brand new customer and we are in the process of adding your theme to your console.
4th step: Let’s add your content! (20-50 minutes)
- Begin by selecting the “Landing” thumbnail image to access creative studio and begin adding your copy.
- Once you click on the sample assessment title, you will see a blue outline around it which shows that you are able to edit it. Overwrite the sample assessment title and place your own within the text editor.
- Beneath the same assessment title are three check marks that will provide the user with benefits of taking the assessment. Click on each of the sentences under the check marks to add your own copy.
- Visitors to this experience will begin the assessment on the same page they land on. Located just below the assessment benefits, you will find a flow step that includes sample text for your questions and answers. The logic for these questions is already built into the quick start. The copy found on the final page of the experience will be displayed based on user input. To display properly you will want to update each of the answers with that in mind. For example, we made each “A” selection a “Crawl” answer. Think about a “Crawl” answer as one that designates the visitor as a beginner or someone who has basic knowledge of the assessment topic.
- Below the questions, you will notice that there is a “Your Company” content block located within the footer. Click on that content to update it with your company name.
Expert-level tip: You can have both of these updates automatically published on the other page in your assessment. To automatically have this applied to the other page of your assessment, you must first ensure that the content has been updated correctly. Once you are satisfied with the content and links click on the content and determine that what you want to update is highlighted in blue, locate the “Save” option found beneath the the edit tab of the creative studio panel, and select “creative wide”. Once you select “creative wide” a window will pop up with the pages located within this experience. You have the option to only update the pages you wish to or to select “all” to publish this to the results pages. From this menu you can select “all” and then hit “ok”. Only do this once you are comfortable working in the ion platform. This isn’t a necessary step, and can be done on a page by page basis.
- Once you have added all of your questions and answers into the experience, navigate to the right side of the screen and select the second page title “Results”.
- Just as you did on the other pages, click and overwrite the sample copy on this page with your own. You are also able to update a CTA button that can push the user to an external site. While you see all three of the results, the user will only see one so make sure you update all three CTA’s!
- You are finished! Use the breadcrumb navigation at the top of creative studio to navigate back out to the creative management screen for this creative. Click the name of your creative to do so. Click the preview button in the upper right area of the screen to preview your assessment to view it as your visitors will.
- Along the top of your preview screen you can also simulate various screen sizes to see how the responsive design will appear in different viewports. As you preview, if you see things you want to change, return to the creative management screen, click on a thumbnail of a page to go back into the creative studio to make your edits.
- As soon as you are satisfied with your experience preview, you are ready to take your experience live!
5th step: Let’s launch your assessment! (<5 minutes)
- From the creative management screen, in the “Status” area, click “Engaged”. This indicates you are ready to take it live.
- Then, in the “Traffic sources” area, click “+traffic source” to create a URL, which you will use to drive traffic to your assessment.
- On the add traffic source screen, select your sub domain from the traffic source URL drop down. This is the URL your visitors will see when they land on your assessment. You can use our default “postclickmarketing.com” domain, or select your company’s subdomain if one has been set up. Don’t see your company’s subdomain in the drop down? If you are not yet a customer or are in a demo or sandbox account you will not see your brand’s domain. However, you can select the postclickmarketing domain for demo purposes. If you are a customer, and are in your company’s ion console and still don’t see your subdomain, it means your company hasn’t yet pointed a subdomain to your ion console. Contact your ion customer success manager to have this set up.
- It is important to note that your traffic source will be visable to your users. For example, if you add “CoolAssessment” in the path field and select postclickmarketing.com as your domain drop down, your URL will be http://companyname.postclickmarketing.com//CoolAssessment. Just for tracking purposes select the type of traffic you are driving, and the sub category. For example, Search Engine as the category, and Google as the sub category.
- Locate your assessment thumbnail below and click save. Congratulations! Your assessment is launched and live!
- Along the top of your traffic source management screen you will see the assessment URL and you can click the copy button to copy your URL. Drive traffic to that URL to promote your assessment.
Tip: If you are embedding your assessment into another web page, such as a page on your website, it will work just the same as embedding a YouTube video on a page. Click the “Embed code” button next to your URL and copy the code from the pop up window. Paste that code into your external web page.
Optional step: Download the data collected from your assessment and lead form
You can download a .csv file of your assessment and lead data at any time! From your campaign screen, locate the Campaign Resources area in the upper right section of the page, click “Export Respondents”. On the export page, enter a date range to see assessment data from all visitors. Hit the export button and download your file (this file may take a moment to generate).
If you haven’t been trained by an ion trainer, here are some important tips for your success:
- Easy quick starts are meant to be used exactly as they have been built.
- We don’t recommend adding/removing pages, adding/removing sections of content, adding/removing questions & page elements, or moving elements of the pages. If you need to do that, we recommend a training session, or training series, with an ion customer success trainer.