This experience is for a 4 chapter ebook. Each chapter page is unique, to provide visual interest and allow you to bring attention to your key content from each chapter.
The ebook starts on a introduction landing page with 4 large clickable chapter images and a call to action in the top header area that drives visitors to a form to download a PDF version of the ebook. Chapter 1 includes a large image with bullets, a pull quote and some tabbed content. Visitors navigate to the next chapter along the top navigation or from the bottom of the page. Chapter 2 includes images, copy and content in an accordion. Chapter 3 includes an image with copy, 3 clickable reveal tiles of short content, and another content area for an image and copy. Chapter 4 includes an image, and copy, there is also a ‘true/false’ quiz-style question on chapter 4. The page concludes with another call to action to complete a form in order to download the PDF version of the ebook. Each page is shareable, with Twitter and Facebook icons.
This ebook is part of our “easy” quick starts, designed to publish in under 1 hour, with minimal to no training.
What you’ll need for the easy ebook:
- Home page: Headline, subheadline, short introductory copy (about a paragraph), a title for each of the 4 chapters of content, optionally 4 chapter images.
- Chapter 1: Headline, short copy with bullets, a quote from the ebook to highlight, content for 3 tabs, an image
- Chapter 2: Headline, short copy with bullets, content for 3 sections of an accordion, a quote from the ebook to highlight, an image, 2-3 short paragraphs of copy, two short blurbs of copy to highlight key content.
- Chapter 3: Headline, short copy with bullets, a quote from the ebook to highlight, an image, 3 small ‘facts’ or pieces of information to place in clickable reveal tiles, another image and 2-3 short paragraphs of copy.
- Chapter 4: Headline and 2-3 paragraphs of copy, a quiz question and answer.
- Form page: Headline, subheadline, copy for bullets.
- Thank you page after form submit: Headline, subheadline, link to download your ebook PDF version (where you have the PDF hosted).
1st step: If you don’t have a portfolio and campaign yet…create them first (: 30 seconds)
When you first log in, you’ll probably be on the dashboard. You can create a portfolio, which is just a folder to keep you organized, by clicking on Portfolios in the top navigation bar. Click the green plus sign and name your portfolio. You don’t need anything else, just the name. Once you save it, add a campaign (which is like a sub-folder inside your portfolio—just another way to keep you organized!) by clicking the green plus sign. Name your campaign folder. Add your corporate website in the “Fallback URL” field (this is just where traffic will be re-routed to should this campaign ever go offline), and that’s it.
2nd step: Download the Easy eBook from the quick start cloud (:30 seconds)
In your campaign, click the green plus sign to add a creative. Put the internal name of your eBook in the label field. This label isn’t visible to your users, just you and your team. Now you’ll choose the creative.
This section will be defaulted to the Quick Starts tab. Leave the top drop down set to “Quick Start Cloud” and select the “Easy Quick Starts” category in the second drop down. Click on the easy eBook thumbnail.
Important tip: Before you save this creative from the cloud, it’s a great idea to check out the Preview link for it. You can go through the experience to see what it looks like, the functionality and how it is arranged. Sometimes when you are in the creative editor, things may look differently than they do in the final product (this is because the pages are responsive, and the layout is impacted by the size of the screen).
Select the easy eBook and hit the blue save button.
When you hit save, it may take a few seconds to download the quick start. Once it is downloaded to your ion console campaign you will be on the Creative Management tab of the quiz.
3rd step: Apply your brand theme to the eBook pages (:10 seconds)
On the creative management screen of your eBook, in the right panel, you’ll see a drop down for theme. From that drop down select your brand theme. This step has to happen before you can go live, and it’s a best practice to do it before you start adding your content.
Don’t see your company’s brand theme in the drop down?
If you aren’t yet a customer, and are in a demo or sandbox account, you won’t see your brand’s theme. You can select the Spokes theme for demo purposes.
If you are a customer, and are in your company’s ion console, and you still don’t see your theme, contact your ion customer success manager. It probably just means you’re a brand new customer and we haven’t added your brand theme to your console yet.
4th step: Let’s add your content! (20-50 minutes)
- Click the “landing” thumbnail image.
- You are now in the creative studio screen where you can add your copy and images.
- Click on the sample title, you will see a blue outline around it. Now you can click to edit it. Overwrite the sample title with your own.
- Click on the sample subheadline, you will see a blue outline around it. Now you can click to edit it. Overwrite the sample subheadline with your own.
- Click "title goes here" for each of the 4 chapters for the blue outline, click again to type in your title names.
- Click the CTA Button at the top of the page. Enter your own call to action text such as Download or Subscribe.
Expert-level tip: You can have this automatically published on the other pages in your eBook. To automatically have this applied to all your other pages in the eBook, once you have edited the placeholder with your own CTA button name, and while the field is still outlined in blue on the page, on the edit tab of the creative studio panel, hover over “save” and select “creative wide”, select “all” to publish this to the other chapter pages of the experience, then hit “ok”. Only do this once you are comfortable working in the ion platform. This isn’t a necessary step, and can be done on a page by page basis.
- Click “Your company” in the footer, once you have the blue outline, click again to input your company name.
Expert-level tip: You can have this automatically published on the other pages in your quiz. To automatically have this applied Company name to all your other pages in the quiz, once you have edited the placeholder with your own company name, and while the field is still outlined in blue on the page, on the edit tab of the creative studio panel, hover over “save” and select “creative wide”, select “all” to publish this to the results, questions and form pages, then hit “ok”. Only do this once you are comfortable working in the ion platform. This isn’t a necessary step, and can be done on a page by page basis.
- Want to change the 4 chapter images? Click an image to select that area of the page, then click again. Now you are in the image editor screen! In the upper right hand area of the image editor click the “<reselect image” link. From here, you can drag and drop an image into the image display area, or you can click “add images” along the top to navigate your computer to the image then add.
The placeholder image we have here is 1000x666. If you replace that with your own image, you can (and should) resize your image to 1000x666 pixels. Select the resize image icon, and input 1000 width and 666 height. Click OK. You can also crop your image here in the image editor as well, if you would like.
- The first page of your ebook is done! Let’s go input the chapter content now. On the far right side of the creative studio panel you will see thumbails for the remaining pages of this creative. Select the thumbnail titled “chapter 1”.
- CHAPTER 1: Just as you did on the landing page of the ebook, click and edit each content section of the page to overwrite the sample copy and add your own. Likewise you can add your own images as per above as well. You’ll see on this page there is some tabbed content. There are three tabs ready for your content. Click the tab itself to change the name of the tab, and then click the area below each tab to replace the placeholder copy. Leave tabs 4-7 empty—they won’t appear to your visitors or when you preview the page. Chapter one is done!
- CHAPTER 2: Now click the thumbnail for "chapter 2." Click and edit each content section of the page to overwrite the sample copy and add your own. Likewise you can add your own images as per above as well. You’ll see on this page there is content within an accordion. There are three accordion sections ready for your content. Click the section itself to change the name of the section, and then click the area below each section to replace the placeholder copy. Leave sections 4-7 empty—they won’t appear to your visitors or when you preview the page. Chapter two is done!
- CHAPTER 3: Now click the thumbnail for "chapter 3." Click and edit each content section of the page to overwrite the sample copy and add your own. Likewise you can add your own images as per above as well. You’ll see on this page there are three “did you know” content pods that are clickable to reveal an answer or tidbit of information. When you publish, edit the copy in the boxes as your question (for example, “How many days a year does it rain in Miami?”,) and just below the box edit the line of copy that will be revealed when someone clicks the question box (for example, “It rains about 128 days a year in Miami”). Chapter three is done!
- CHAPTER 4: Now click the thumbnail for "chapter 4." Click and edit each content section of the page to overwrite the sample copy and add your own. Likewise you can add your own images as per above as well. You’ll see on this page there is quiz-style true/false question. When you publish, edit the question. Below that, enter the copy for a correct answer, and for an incorrect answer—these will only be shown to a visitor based on their response to the true/false question. Update your final CTA button with your own call to action to drive visitors to your form page. Chapter four is done!
- FORM: Now click the thumbnail for the ìformî. Just as you did on the other pages, click and overwrite the sample copy on this page with your own. The form page is done!
Tip: Don’t edit or change the form, unless you’ve been through form training with your ion customer success trainer!
- THANK YOU: Click the thumbnail for the "thank you" page. Just as you did on the other pages, click and overwrite the sample copy/image on this page with your own.
- Now, we need to hook up the “download” button to link your visitor over to your PDF version of the eBook. You should have this hosted somewhere already, in which case click the “Actions” in your creative studio edit panel. A screen will pop up, and you can replace the placeholder url “http://www.ioninteractive.com/home” with your own URL where the eBook is located.
- Don’t have the eBook hosted anywhere that people can download it? No problem—you can upload it to your fulfillment library (located in your main software navigation along the top), then in the “actions” panel select “Fulfillment”. Contact your ion customer success manager for help—we’re happy to walk you through this step!
- You are finished! Use the breadcrumb navigation at the top of creative studio to navigate back out to the creative management screen for this creative. Click the name of your creative to do so. Click the preview button in the upper right area of the screen to preview your quiz to see it exactly as your visitors will see it. Along the top of your preview screen you can also simulate various screen sizes to see how the responsive design will appear in different viewports. As you preview, if you see things you want to change, return to the creative management screen, click on a thumbnail of a page to go back into the creative studio to make your edits.
- As soon as you are satisfied with your experience preview, you are ready to take your experience live!
5th step: Let’s launch your eBook! (<5 minutes)
- From the creative management screen, in the “Status” area, click “Engaged”. This indicates you are ready to take it live.
- Then, in the “Traffic sources” area, click “+traffic source” to create a URL, which you will use to drive traffic to your quiz.
- On the add traffic source screen, select your sub domain from the traffic source URL drop down. This is the URL your visitors will see when they land on your eBook. You can use our default “postclickmarketing.com” domain, or select your company’s subdomain if one has been set up. Don’t see your company’s subdomain in the drop down? If you aren’t yet a customer, and are in a demo or sandbox account, you won’t see your brand’s domain. You can select postclickmarketing domain for demo purposes. If you are a customer, and are in your company’s ion console, and you still don’t see your subdomain, it means your company hasn’t yet pointed a subdomain to your ion console. Contact your ion customer success manager.
- Fill in the path, this is your exact traffic source, so, for example, if you add “MyeBook” in the path field, and selected postclickmarketing.com as your domain drop down, your URL will be http://companyname.postclickmarketing.com/MyeBook
- Just for tracking purposes select the type of traffic you are driving, and the sub category. For example, Search Engine as the category, and Google as the sub category.
- Select your eBook thumbnail and click save.
- Your eBook is launched and live! Along the top of your traffic source management screen you will see the eBook URL and you can click the copy button to copy your URL. Drive traffic to that URL to promote your eBook.
Tip: If you are embedding your eBook into another web page, such as a page on your website, it will work just the same as embedding a YouTube video on a page. Click the “Embed code” button next to your URL and copy the code from the pop up window. Paste that code into your external web page.
Optional step: Download the data collected from your eBook lead form
You can download a .csv file of your lead data at any time! From your campaign screen, in the Campaign Resources area in the upper right section of the page, click “Export Respondents”. On the export page, enter a date range. If you only want to see data from visitors who completed the form, check the box that says “Include only converted respondents”. If you want to see behavioral data from all visitors, including those who did not complete the form, uncheck that box. Hit the export button and download your file (this file may take a moment to generate).
If you haven’t been trained by an ion trainer, here are some important tips for your success:
- Easy quick starts are meant to be used exactly as they have been built. We don’t recommend adding/removing pages, adding/removing sections of content, adding/removing questions & page elements, or moving elements of the pages. If you need to do that, we recommend a training session, or training series, with an ion customer success trainer.
- Easy quick starts are designed to be used ‘as is’ without functional changes to things like questions or number of chapters or number of pages. But, if you are comfortable with the editing process, you can make some minor modifications to the text. For example, if you would like to remove a headline or a subheadline, you can click that content area and delete it. When you click on the content you will see a trash icon to delete it, and will be asked to confirm the deletion. Be careful—don’t remove questions or answers! Easy quick starts are designed to be published & launched “as designed” without functional changes so the built-in logic will work correctly.
- Expert tip: If you would like this eBook to start right on the chapter one page, rather than the “landing” page, you can delete the landing page from the creative management screen (follow the breadcrumb back to the creative management screen from the top of the creative studio panel). Under the landing thumbnail, click the actions drop down and select “delete page”. Then, on the chapter 1 thumbnail, under actions select “Make landing page”, so your visitors land right on your first chapter page, not the main landing page.