The ion platform seamlessly integrates with Act-On through a REST API integration or by posting data to Act-On forms. This document provides a summary of how ion integrate adds contacts to an Act-On list in real time. If you'd like to post data to Act-On forms, please check out our 'post to web form' External service: Post to web form.
ion offers custom services to design and build this integration type, based on the required use of advanced platform features. Please contact your account manager if interested in this service. After ion creates the REST API integration, you'll be able to add ion lead data to a dedicated Act-On list with a simple form-level rule. Read on to learn more about the items needed to build a REST API integration with Act-On along with an outline of the steps we'll take.
Before we begin
There are few items you'll need to roundup from Act-On before we can set up the integration, listed below:
You'll need to create an Act-On developer account to generate the client id and secret.
- Act-On username & password
- Act-On Client ID
- Act-On Client Secret
- REST API endpoint URL
- List ID
- Act-On field names (list column labels)
There are few items you'll need to have ready in ion prior to setting up the integration, listed below:
Check out the "Before you begin" for guidance in creating these items.
- Create data collection fields
- Create ion form(s)
- Set-up testing creative
Integration build summary
- Add your Act-On username and password in ion's secure credential storage
- authorizes API connection
- Create look-up table that stores Act-On authorization token and timestamp
- stores required authentication token until expiration
- Write a server scriptlet that manages the authorization token request and runs the data integration with a valid token
- makes token request only when current token expires
- makes createLead request
- Create integration field mapping
- defines data points to add to Act-On list
- maps ion data fields to proper Act-On list column
- Create integration
- defines endpoint URLs for authentication and createLead
- Add integration to testing ion experience
- add form-level rule to run integration to testing experience
- Test integration
- submit test leads from ion experience
- ensure all data points are successfully received in Act-On
Once the integration has been tested and approved by you, we'll provide simple instructions around how to add the integration to your ion experiences. Please reach out to your dedicated customer success manager to get the ball rolling!