You can leverage ion’s Get Lead integration with the Marketo REST API to optimize your ion experiences. This integration enables you to retrieve data from Marketo based on a designated key. You can leverage Get Lead to pre-populate (or shorten) ion forms, auto-segment respondents and for progressive profiling.
This document provides step-by-step instructions to set up a REST API integration with Marketo to get lead data. We’ll use the integration to pre-populate an ion form in this document, but, as noted, there are a few different ways you can use Get Lead to enhance your ion experiences.
Before we begin
There are few items you'll need to roundup from Marketo prior to setting up the integration, listed below:
A web service needs to be created in Marketo in order to generate the REST API details. If needed, please contact Marketo support or check out their documentation for guidance in obtaining these items.
- Marketo Client ID
- Marketo Client Secret
- REST API Identity URL
There are few items you'll need to have ready in ion prior to setting up the integration, listed below:
Check out the "Before you begin" support post for guidance in creating these items.
- Create data collection fields that will store Marketo data
- Create ion form(s)
- Set-up testing creative
Let’s Get Started!
1. Add Marketo account credentials to ion
- Click the Integrations tab in your ion console’s side nav
- Click “Set up account credentials” toward the top of the screen
- Under "Marketo", click “New marketo credential”
- Add a friendly label for your account then enter your Marketo Client ID, Client Secret and REST API Identity URL
2. Create field mapping
Taking the steps below will enable you to extend a key value to Marketo and map the data points returned to their corresponding ion data collection fields. To get started, add your new field mapping:
- Navigate into the Integrations screen
- Click green “New field mapping” button
- Label the field mapping and optionally add a description
- From the Integration type menu, select “Marketo REST”
3. Determine key to retrieve data and add as Outbound field
The outbound field you designate will be used as the key to retrieve data from Marketo. You can use email address, Marketo ID or the Marketo cookie as the key value. If you use Email Address or Marketo ID as the key, you will need to create an outbound field. If you plan to use the Marketo cookie, skip this step.
- Click green “New outbound field” button
- Select Data field from the Source drop-down
- Select the data field category then data collection field you’ll use as the key
- For email, select Contact Info > Email Address
- For Marketo ID, select the category and field you’ve created to store this value in ion
- Make your field required to run the integration
- Select the corresponding Marketo field
4. Create Inbound fields
Inbound fields will map the data Marketo returns into their corresponding ion data collection fields.
- Click green “New inbound field” button
- From the Target dropdown menus, selection the ion data collection field you seek to populate with Marketo data
- To pre-populate ion forms with Marketo data, be sure to select the data collection field used on your form
- From the Source dropdown, select the Marketo field you want to pull data from
- Repeat these steps for each Marketo data field you seek to save into ion data collection
5. Create integration
- Navigate back to Integrations screen
- Click into the Integrations tab
- Click green “New integration” button
- Enter label
- Optionally add a description
- Select the Field Mapping you’ve just created
- Skip Maximum retries
- Select Get Lead as the API method
- Select your Key field
- This is the field Marketo will use as the key to retrieve data
- Optionally add yourself to the debug distribution list for testing
- This will deliver an email to the designated address when the integration runs that displays the request and response from Marketo
- Check Only send error emails if you want to receive the debug email only when there is an error
6. Add integration to ion pages
The ion platform runs the integration based on rules you create. For Marketo Get Lead, the rule will typically run the integration at the page-level of the landing page. You can, however, run the integration on any actionable step in your ion experience. The steps below walk through adding the rule at the page-level to populate an ion form with Marketo data.
- Navigate into the testing creative with form that you set up prior to beginning the integration steps
- Under the Page tab in creative studio, click on +RULES
- Add the following rule:
- Condition: No conditions required
- Action: Run integration (select MKTO Get Lead integration)
7. Test integration
To test your integration, use the creative you’ve added the page-level rule to in the previous step. Please note, integrations do not run in Preview Mode, so you'll want to open a URL for testing.
If using Email Address or Marketo ID as the key value, append the field name and value to the URL as a query string parameter. Be sure that the parameter name you append to the URL matches the "data name" of the ion data collection field. If using the Marketo cookie as the key value, ensure the Marketo cookie is present prior to visiting the traffic source URL.
The integration will run when you visit the page. ion form fields included in the field mapping will pre-populate with data retrieved from Marketo, if available.
If you’re on the debug email distribution list, you’ll receive an email that displays the request and response from Marketo.
Once you’ve completed these steps, your integration is ready for use. You can add the rule to run the integration on all applicable creatives.
As noted, Marketo Get Lead can be used to accomplish other objectives. Here are some examples that can be accomplished using this integration and ion's Rules engine:
- Shorten or replace forms
- Auto-segment respondents
- Build progressive profiles
- Serve-up dynamic content based on Marketo data
Feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance in leveraging this integration.