This is an expert concept
ion supports an integrate with Mongoose Metrics that enables you to track phone calls back to the ion platform as conversions. You can use this conversion data to optimize your ion experiences for phone conversions. This document provides step-by-step instructions to set up an integration with Mongoose.
Once in place, Mongoose will display a unique phone number for each visitor to an ion experience. Through Mongoose tracking script, the ion platform will extend a unique identifier to Mongoose. When a call is placed, Mongoose will send a callback to the ion platform with the aforementioned unique identifier, allocating a conversion to the respondent that placed the call.
Before We Begin
There are few items you'll need to roundup prior to setting up the integration. These items can be found and/or configured in your Mongoose instance. Please contact Mongoose support for assistance with the items listed below, if needed:
- Obtain Mongoose tracking script
- The mmc variable value should be set to your Mongoose Account ID
- In the custom parameters section of the script, set your default phone number variable
- Also in the custom parameters section of the script, set custom variable 1 to equal @@lb3id
- @@lb3id is a dynamic placeholder for a value unique to each visitor that is extended to Mongoose
- Configure callback URL in Mongoose
- The default domain of your ion console will be used as the callback URL, resulting in a URL like the example below:
There are a few items that should be ready-to-go in ion prior to setting up the integration, listed below:
- ion testing creative with Mongoose default phone number added through text editor
- traffic source URL for testing creative
Let's get started!
1. Add Mongoose tracking script to ion Library
Add your Mongoose-supplied tracking script to the ion script library by following the steps below.
- From the Libraries navigation menu, select Scripts
- Click on +category, Label as Mongoose, optionally add a description and save
- Click on +script and label as Call tracking
- Paste Mongoose script into editor
Sample Mongoose script:
<!-- Begin Mongoose Metrics Tracking Code -->
var mm_c = 'xxxxxxxxx'; //Mongoose account id
var mm_protocol = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://" : "http://");
/* Custom Parameters */
/* MANDATORY default_number Setup Parameter DO NOT REMOVE */
var default_number='xxxxxxxxxx'; //default phone number
/* Custom Parameters */
<!-- End Mongoose Metrics Tracking Code -->
2. Add Mongoose tracking script to creative
Mongoose tracking script can be added at the campaign, creative or page-level. We'll add the Mongoose script to the landing page of your test creative in the steps below.
- Navigate into the landing page of the test creative you set-up prior to beginning the integration steps
- Ensure that the default phone number is added to your ion page through a text editor
- From the Page tab in creative studio, click on +Script
- From the closing body tag editor, select Mongoose > Call tracking from the drop-down menu
3. Test integration
Follow the steps below to conduct a start-to-end test to ensure a phone call placed from the Mongoose number served-up on the ion page allocates as a conversion to the ion respondent.
- Retrieve the traffic source URL of the testing creative and append ?keyword=[value] to the query string
- Visit the traffic source
- The default phone number should be replaced by a dynamic, unique number served-up by Mongoose
- Call the number displayed on the page and remain on the line for at least 20 seconds
In about ten minutes, a conversion should allocate to the respondent. A tag labeled Mongoose should also allocate to the respondent. This tag can be used to distinguish phone conversions from other conversion types in your performance gauges and reporting.
Once your testing has proved the integration successful, your ready to implement the Mongoose script and default phone number on all applicable creatives. Feel free to reach out to your account manager for support if you run into any issues.