This is an expert concept
The ion platform integrates seamlessly with the Marketo SOAP API to immediately export contact data collected from your ion experiences. You can also implement Marketo visitor tracking script on your ion pages. This document walks through how to set up this integration, step-by-step.
*Note: As of September 9th, 2015, ion offers a REST API integration with Marketo, which is the preferred integration method. For the latest Marketo integration steps, please click here.
Before we begin
There are few items you'll need to roundup from Marketo prior to setting up the integration, listed below:
- Marketo User Id
- Encryption Key
- Marketo endpoint URL
- Marketo API field names
- Standard SOAP API field names can be found here: Marketo support post
There are few items you'll need to have ready in ion prior to setting up the integration, listed below:
- Create data collection fields
- Create ion form(s)
- Set-up testing creative
Let’s get started!
1. Create field mapping
Taking the steps below will map your ion data collection fields to their corresponding external field names. To get started, add your new field mapping:
- Navigate to the Data Management menu and select Integrations
- Click on +field mappings
- Label the field mapping and optionally add a description
- From the Integration type menu, select “Marketo SOAP”
2. Add Outbound fields to field mapping
Outbound fields define the data you extend from ion to your external web form.
- To add a form field, use the Data Collection drop-down menus to select the data field category then data collection field
- OR, to add an ion Core field, select from the Core Field drop-down menu
- OR, to export multiple ion fields to one external field, use the Mashup Field by plugging @@DataName @@DataName2, etc. into the editor
- Check "Required" if a value must be present for the export to run
- Optionally add a default value
- Enter the Marketo SOAP API field name in the external field name editor
- Repeat these steps for each field that should be included in the Field Mapping
3. Create integration
- Click +integration
- Enter label
- Optionally add a description
- Select the Field Mapping you’ve just created
- Set maximum retries
- If there is a service interruption with the external platform, ion will retry the post on the top of the hour for as many retries as you indicate here.
- Paste your SOAP endpoint URL into the editor
- This is the Marketo SOAP API endpoint URL.
- Enter your Marketo UserID
- Enter your Marketo Encryption Key
- Optionally add Debug email address
- Email addresses specified here will receive an email each time the integration runs that displays the data posted and response received. This is feature typically only used for testing and troubleshooting.
4. Add integration to ion pages
The ion platform runs the integration based on rules you create. Rules can be added to any actionable item in your ion creative. Integration rules are typically run at the form-level, upon form submission, or on an assessment step. Follow the steps below to add the integration to your ion pages.
- Navigate into the creative
- Click on the form, button or link you seek to make the trigger to run your integration
- In Creative Studio, click on +rules
- Select the condition that needs to be met to run the integration
- “No conditions required” is typically used
- Select “Run integration and complete before continuing” the select your Marketo SOAP integration as the action
5. Store Marketo visitor tracking script to your ion Script Library
- Copy the visitor tracking script from your Marketo platform
- In your ion platform, navigate to the Libraries menu and click on script
- Click on +category and label it Marketo
- Click on +script and label it “Campaign – visitor tracking”
- Paste the Marketo script into the editor and save
6. Add Marketo visitor tracking script to your ion campaigns
- Navigate to the Campaign Management screen and click on the pencil icon beside the Campaign label
- Select Marketo > Camapaign - visitor tracking from the head tag drop-down menus
- Repeat for each applicable campaign
7. Test integration
To test your integration, use the testing creative you set up prior to beginning the integration steps. Please note, integrations do not run in Preview Mode so you'll want to open a traffic source URL for testing. The integration will run once you submit the ion form, or complete the action that runs the integration rule. If you’re on the debug email distribution list, you’ll receive an email that displays the data posted and response from the external server. You’ll also want to check that the data you submitted was received by the external platform.
Once you’ve completed these steps, your integration is ready for use. You can add the rule to run the integration on all applicable creatives. If you run into any issues, please reach out to your account manager.